Home Forums Everything to do with being childfree People's reactions to you not wanting kids

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Crystal Crystal 1 year, 5 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Keymaster

Have you had some particularly bad reactions to your decision not to have children or have the people in your life been pretty accepting?

Profile photo of Crystal
    Crystal
    Participant

It’s a hit and miss.

Usually I get the “sympathy” eyes from people – and they look sad (I’m not sure why, as I’m not sad about it!).

My in-laws stopped bugging us when my sister in law had 3 kids in 2 years (twins and a single)…now they babysit the kids (aged 3 and under) 3-7 days a week. My father in law is 76. My mother in law is 65. I think they are too exhausted to continue asking us 😉

Co-workers still give me the, “You’ll change your mind” speech – even 8 years after working here.

Friends haven’t bugged us about it, as we’re a pretty cool and open group.

Profile photo of Red Sarah
    Red Sarah
    Participant

Everyone hates it, no one can accept it.

I either get people being horrified and telling me there’s something wrong with me and/or I’m an awful person, or I get people laughing and telling me not to be stupid and of course I’ll change my mind.

I hate it. Most of all I hate that people always ask me why, and when I tell them the truth, that I hate kids, they are absolutely horrified. I’m like, well, you asked me?? What did you expect??

Profile photo of Crystal
      Crystal
      Participant

I don’t think There’s anything wrong with you.

For those who don’t choose to accept it, It’s like we are the minority and something is wrong or having a baby would be perfectly fine for CF people.

It does get easier as you get older though. I’m 37…and in my early 20s I has no idea I didn’t want kids 100% – I just never saw them in my life. I was dumped because I was on the fence (thank goodness!) when I was 23 or 24. Apparently I was more outspoken about it than I though I was lol.

Or maybe people who want kids talk about it a lot?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.